All interested would need to comply with the following terms and conditions:
1. Following words shall have the meaning provided as hereunder:
a) "Competition" shall mean this competition, conducted by MAMI, to be finally screened at Jio MAMI in 2017, where young aspiring film makers qualifying the criteria provided herein are invited to post their Submission/s online as prescribed on this site and subject to the Terms and Conditions.
b) "Entrant" shall mean and include any person participating in the Competition who satisfies the eligibility criteria provided in the Terms and Conditions.
c) "Selection Committee" shall mean the panel of members formed to select the Masterclass Finalists.
d) "Jio's Streaming Platform" shall mean the online streaming platform hosted by one of the subsidiaries of the Sponsor for the Competition.
e) "Jio MAMI" shall mean the festival organised by the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image (MAMI), which previews new films of all genres from around the world with a range of competitions and showcase categories.
f) "Jury" shall mean the panel of judges appointed by MAMI for selecting the winners of the Competition at Jio MAMI.
g) "MAMI" shall mean the Mumbai Academy of Moving Image, a society registered with the Registrar of Societies under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 and also registered with the Charity Commissioner, Worli under the Bombay Public Trust Act, 1950 that organises Jio MAMI.
h) "Sponsor" shall mean Reliance Industries Limited, a company incorporated under the provisions of the Companies Act, 1956, who is sponsoring the Competition and the Jio MAMI Reliance Foundation Award.
i) "Submission" and "Submission Requirements" shall mean and consist of the following:
i. Synopsis of the story in 500 words.
ii. One-liner script to explain the story
j) "Terms and Conditions" shall mean these terms and conditions that govern the Competition.
2. The age eligibility for the Competition is 21-35 years.
3. Submission must be typed in English or Hindi language only. MAMI will not be able to return a Submission once delivered to it for consideration.
4. MAMI and/or Sponsor will not be responsible for any loss, damage or claims whatsoever incurred by the Entrant due to lost, late, incomplete, invalid, unintelligible or misdirected Submissions, which will be disqualified.
5. The submission process for the Competition opens from 11th May 2017 and ends on the last date of submission being 30th June 2017 ("Closing Date").
6. Submissions that are not in accordance with the Submission Requirements will be disqualified without prior intimation.
7. MAMI reserves the right to refuse and/or to accept any Submission i) that contains any material which is or reasonably likely to be defamatory, obscene, offensive, contrary to standards of decency, ii) that has been submitted in bad faith, or iii) which MAMI has reasonable grounds to believe infringes the intellectual property rights (including moral rights) of a third party.
8. MAMI may engage third party providers in connection with this Competition for the purposes of administering this Competition and/or any subsequent publicity.
9. In the event that the Submission, in whole or otherwise, has been sold or otherwise exploited at any point by a studio or network or otherwise restricted in any media worldwide, proper disclosure and acknowledgement of the same is mandatory.
10. The Entrant hereby expressly warrants and represents that:
i. the Entrant is the present exclusive and sole owner of all right, title and interest in and to the Submission (including the Script) and has the unconditional right to present the Submission (including the Script) to MAMI subject to the Terms and Conditions;
ii. the Submission (including the Script) has not been produced, sold or optioned to any third party;
iii. the Submission (including the Script) shall not infringe any law or regulation or third party right, including (but not limited to) the law of copyright, defamation or trademarks; and
iv. the Entrant is capable of translating the Submission into a film.
11. The Entrant shall at all times indemnify and hold MAMI and/or Sponsor harmless from and against all losses, damages, cost, expenses and liabilities suffered or incurred (including without limitation legal expenses and any amounts paid by Jio MAMI to a third party in settlement of a claim or dispute on the advice of Jio MAMI’s legal advisers) in connection with, resulting from or arising out of a breach by the Entrant of the warranties and representations expressly made by the Entrant and breach of any of the Terms and Conditions.
12. The decision of MAMI on the eligibility of the Submission or otherwise is final and binding.
13. The short-listed finalists will be notified by email in due course, such that they would have sufficient notice to attend the mentoring camp, details whereof are contained hereinafter. "Failure to respond to the notification within five (5) days or return of notification as undeliverable after two (2) attempts will result in the short-listed finalist being disqualified from the Competition and a new finalist may be short-listed by MAMI at its sole discretion and election.
14. The short-listed finalists will be invited to attend a mentoring camp free of cost for 2 (two) days to be held in Mumbai, comprising of a comprehensive training program to be conducted by a team of expert mentors to guide them in making films from their respective Submissions. Out of the short-listed finalists, 10 (ten) finalists ("Masterclass Finalists") will be chosen by the Selection Committee for making their films. The Masterclass Finalists will each receive a "Jio MAMI Reliance Foundation Masterclass Finalist Certificate". The decision of the Selection Committee shall be final and binding.
15. The Masterclass Finalists, on completion and delivery of their films, will have the privilege of having their films theatrically premiered at Jio MAMI. They will receive a grant of Rs.2,50,000/- each and the prestigious "Jio MAMI Reliance Foundation Award - Official Selection" laurel. Further, their films will be showcased on Jio's Streaming Platform exclusively for 3 (three) months and a subsequent period of 18 (eighteen) months on a nonexclusive basis. No further consideration shall be paid to the Masterclass Finalists for such showcasing of their films.
16. The Masterclass Finalist shall execute and deliver such additional documents or instruments as are reasonably necessary to evidence or effectuate the terms contained herein.
17. The films made and delivered by the Masterclass Finalists under clause 15 will be screened at Jio MAMI, where the Jury will choose the top 2 (two) films, which will win the prestigious "Jio MAMI Reliance Foundation Award". The decision of the Jury shall be final and binding.
18. Each Masterclass Finalist shall be solely responsible for paying any and all expenses ("Expenses"), including without limitation, travel, accommodation and subsistence expenses and taxes as maybe applicable incurred by him/her in connection with him/her attending Jio MAMI. MAMI and/or Sponsor shall not be liable for any Expenses whatsoever in the event Jio MAMI is cancelled or postponed.
19. MAMI and/or Sponsor shall not be liable (jointly or severally) for any failure to comply with its obligations hereunder where the failure is caused by something outside its reasonable control. Such circumstances shall include, but not be limited to technical, mechanical and electric malfunctions, weather conditions, fire, flood, hurricane, strike, political unrest, riots, civil commotion, inevitable accidents, supervening legislation or any other circumstances amounting to force majeure.
20. MAMI and/or Sponsor accepts no responsibility for lost, late, undelivered, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, incorrect or corrupted Submissions. The internet is not a secure medium and information submitted via it may be accessed by third parties.
21. By entering the Competition, the Entrant acknowledges and agrees that MAMI and/or Sponsor and/or Jury receive numerous submissions of ideas, stories and scripts, and that the Entrant’s entry into the Competition, and the ideas and stories embodied in the Submission, may be similar or identical to other material already received and/or developed by one or and/or the Jury. The Entrants also agree that they are not entitled to any compensation or credit for use by MAMI and/or Sponsor and/or Jury of any such other material.
22. MAMI reserves the right to amend the Submission Requirements process from time to time.
23. These Terms and Conditions are personal to the Entrant. MAMI shall have the sole right in its discretion (jointly and individually) to assign these Terms and Conditions in whole or in part to any third party at any given time.
24. MAMI reserves the right to contact any Entrant for additional information, if required.
25. Except where prohibited by law, participation in the Competition constitute consent to MAMI and its agents to use the Masterclass Finalists and winner’s names, likenesses, photographs, and/or personal information for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
26. The relationship between the Entrant and MAMI and/or Sponsor is one of independent contractors. Neither party will represent that it has any authority to assume or create any obligation, express or implied, on behalf of the other party, or to represent the other party as agent, employee, or in any other capacity, except as specifically provided herein.
27. Employees, officers, directors, contractors and agents (and their immediate families and household members) regardless of where they live, or members of the same households (whether related or not) of MAMI and its, affiliates, agents and advertising agencies, are not eligible to participate in the Competition or to win any award.
28. These Terms and Conditions and the Competition are governed by the laws of India and the parties agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in Mumbai.
29. MAMI reserves the right at any time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Competition (and any of its terms) with or without prior notice for any reason.
30. These Terms and Conditions, are subject to change or updating, at any time without prior notice. The changes may include superseding terms and conditions or specific notices. YOU SHOULD REVIEW THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FROM TIME TO TIME TO BE AWARE OF ANY CHANGES THAT ARE MADE.
31. By submitting a Submission, the Entrant agrees to abide by these Terms & Conditions.
32. Entry in the Competition is void where prohibited by the laws of the Entrant’s country of residence.
What is a synopsis?
A synopsis is really nothing more than a short description of your screenplay. The typical synopsis consists of a plot summary of the screenplay on one side of a sheet of paper and usually contains no more than 500 words. It highlights your main characters and what they go through during your story. A good synopsis a very good tool to help you develop an idea for a screenplay and eventual movie. A synopsis does not try to tell the whole story... Rather, it focuses on a few characters and the most important parts of the story. A good synopsis makes the person who reads it want to see the movie.
How to write a synopsis
• Limit your synopsis to one page or less (500 words).
• At the top of the page, write the title of your film.
• Underneath your title, type, "Synopsis by…
• In the next line, type your name followed by your contact information.
• Begin by stating the kind of setting your story/screenplay takes place in. Give them both the time and place, along with a little bit of background information.
• Include a sentence or two about your beginning scenes.
• Briefly describe your main characters.
• Other characters can be introduced, should not make the synopsis too detailed.
• Use third person to tell your story.
• Use the present tense except for events that come before the story. Be sure to include any key or important scenes and culminating events.
• Include the most important conflict or events in the story.
• Do not include any dialogue from any of your characters, unless necessary.
• When revealing your ending, be sure to 5e up all loose ends.
• Break your synopsis in to paragraphs to structure the flow.
• Let your voice or style come through in your synopsis.
• Always proofread your synopsis for correct style, grammar, and usage.
A FEW GOOD MEN
A plea-bargaining Navy lawyer risks both career and prison if he exposes the commanding officer who ordered the hazing of a screw-up Marine his two clients are accused of murdering.
Lieutenant JG Daniel "Danny" an inexperienced U.S. Navy lawyer, leads the defense in the court-martial of two Marines, LC Dawson, and PFC Downey. Both accused of murdering a fellow Marine, PFC William Santiago, at the Guantanamo Bay Naval Base, which is under the command of Colonel Nathan R. Jessup.
Santiago goes outside the chain to bargain for a transfer in exchange for blowing the whistle on Dawson for firing an illegal shot towards Cuba. Santiago's commanding officer, Lt. Jonathan Kendrick asserts to both Jessup and Jessup's commanding officer, Lt. Jonathan Kendrick asserts to both Jessup and Jessup's executive officer, Lt. Colonel Matthew Andrew Markinson that he can handle Santiago.
When Dawson and Downey are arrested for Santiago's murder, Naval investigator and lawyer Lieutenant Commander Joanne Galloway suspects they were carrying out a "code red." She requests to defend them but command turns the case over to Kaffee.
Kaffee meets the defendants and finds them to be arrogant. He tries to both plea-bargain the case, then steps down as lead counsel, realizing he was assigned this case due to his reputation for plea- bargaining, indicating someone high up didn"t want the case to go to trial and because of that revelation, he proceeds to trial. During trial, it"s established code reds are standard at Gitmo, as a means of getting screw-ups to get it together.
Eventually Galloway convinces Kaffee to call Jessup as a witness. Kaffe accuses Jessup of ordering a code red on Santiago. Both prosecution and the judge object, but Jessup is caught in a lie. He stated Santiago was to be transferred off base for his safety in case other Marines sought retribution, but also stated Marines are honorable and always follow orders. Kaffee argues if other Marines were ordered to leave Santiago alone and always follow orders, Santiago would have been in no danger and thus, Jessup"s argument that Santiago was to be transferred was a lie. Under pressure from Kaffee, Jessep furiously declares You can"t handle the truth!' and dismisses Kaffee as disrespectful of a Marine doing his duty, at which point he admits to ordering the code red. As Jessup angrily justifies his actions on the basis of national security, Ross arrests him, and the defendants are found not guilty of murder.
Regardless, the two Marines are discharged for causing Santiago's death through their 'conduct unbecoming a United States Marine.' Downey does not understand why they are given discharges, but Dawson accepts the verdict, and explains to Downey they failed to stand up for those too weak to stand up for themselves. As the two prepare to leave, Kaffee tells Dawson he doesn"t need a patch on his arm to have honor. Dawson, who had previously been reluctant to respect Kaffee as an officer, barks “There's an officer on deck!” and salutes Kaffee.
Used with permission from the Writers Store, USA
To give us an idea of the progression of your story- we have given you the opportunity to write a One-liner script for your entire story. It’s really simple- all you need to do is follow the below format:
1. First set the scene for us:
1. Where does the scene take place? (INTERIOR or EXTERIOR)
2. Where is the location ? (BEDROOM, CAFTERIA, ROAD, etc)
3. What time of the day is the scene happening at (MORNING, AFTERNOON, EVENING, NIGHT etc)
So a possible example could look like:
EXT- ROAD- MORNING
INT- BEDROOM- NIGHT
2. Next tell us what’s happening in the scene in as concise a way as possible:
INT- CLASSROOM- NIGHT
Ravi enters with a bouquet of flowers. Smriti is at her desk. Ravi is about to hand over the bouquet when Samir enters with a cake and says , " Smriti I love you."
EXT- ROAD- NIGHT
Ravi sits at the side of the road, plucking out rose petals.
Continue on for the story and that’s it!
b) There will be an initial shortlist of entries (internally), which will be shared with a panel of filmmakers and technicians.
c) They will select 25 entries and those applicants will be called to Mumbai to participate in a 2-day residential Masterclass with all expenses paid.
d) All participants attending the Masterclass will receive a "Jio MAMI Reliance Foundation Masterclass Certificate".
e) From the Masterclass, 10 applicants will be selected to produce final films. Jio MAMI will award each of these applicants Rs 2,50,000 and a "Jio MAMI Reliance Foundation Masterclass Certificate".
f) The money will be paid on submission of the final films.
g) The 10 films will be screened at Jio MAMI and judged by a Jury Panel appointed by MAMI.
h) The two best entries will receive the gold and silver "Jio MAMI Reliance Foundation Award" respectively.